Empties Vol. 3: August – September 2017
We are counting down to the final months of this year… isn’t it unbelievable? Work has been insane lately, because of course, all the transactions have to drop at the same time. It’s definitely been a very productive couple of months, and I’m excited to share this bumper crop of #empties.
If you were following my Instagram (@silverkis), you may have heard that the bottom of my vanity drawer fell out last month, and I took the opportunity to clean it out. After much deliberation, I decided to throw out 2 cream eyeshadow primers because I reckoned they are way past their shelf-life. Rather than keep them as photo props and tempting the fates, it was much more satisfying to bin them.
- Tom Ford Eye Primer Duo – This is a double-deckered 2-in-1 product consisting of a beige cream primer housed in a glass jar below, and a packed translucent setting powder in the upper deck. I’ve loved this for a good part of the last 3 years ever since it was launched, but even with daily use, I barely got through half of it and never saw bottom. Definitely pricey, but given how long it’s lasted, well worth the money!
- Dior Backstage Eye Prime – another cream eyeshadow primer, very similar to the Tom Ford though it feels just a tad creamier. Does not come with a setting powder though, but retails for almost half the price. It does a decent job of holding my eyeshadow and boosting the intensity, but for some reason I never reached for it quite as often as the Tom Ford.
There were a couple of skincare empties, one I loved, the other not so much.
- Shu Uemura Anti/Oxi+ Cleansing Oil [reviewed here] – One of my favourites from Shu Uemura’s considerable offering of cleansing oils! Removes impurities, even the tiniest PM2.5 pollutive particles… leaves my skin clear and bright.
- Clarins Detox Skin Booster [reviewed here] – I love the idea of these skin boosters, and when I first tried this out, it helped accelerate the healing process of my zits. However, after the initial phase, I realized that it stopped being effective, and in fact, the acne seemed to settle in for longer periods. It wasn’t until I had completely finished it, that I realized my skin actually got better, the extent of my breakouts was much less severe and recovered faster without the Detox booster! Very confusing and disappointing, but I will definitely not be repurchasing.
I was most pleased with my haircare empties this month!
- Goldwell Kerasilk Control Intensive Smoothing Mask [reviewed here] – I love Goodwell’s Kerasilk haircare range, and this is my 3rd hair mask from them that I’ve completely emptied and my top favourite! It leaves my frizzy hair smooth and shiny, and helps tame flyaways. So much love, I’ve repurchased already!
- Goldwell Kerasilk Color Protective Blow-Dry Spray – I don’t have a habit of applying a protective hair spray prior to blow drying, but that completely changed after I started using this! It not only protects my hair from heat damage, it helps to detangle and makes it easier for me to blow my hair straighter.
- Kerastase Vita-Ciment Shampoo – Before Goldwell’s Kerasilk range entered my life, L’oreal’s Kerastase was a permanent staple in my bathroom. I always stocked something from the straightening range, and something from this reparative line. This giant bottle has taken a very long time to empty because once I started on Goldwell, I just fell out of love here. It strengthens weakened, hollow hair, but it leaves my hair feeling coarser and stiffer.
- Kerastase Cristalliste Cristal Sculpt – this is an old, discontinued product, I only recently dug it out of my warehouse and am so glad I got to experience it! It is super lightweight, non-oily, absorbs straight away… leaving my hair smoother and straighter. Sadly, it is no longer available as Kerastase seems to have reformulated this entire Cristalliste line.
Now onto body care…
- La Mer The Body Refiner – the first time I tried this, I was just blown away. It is filled with the finest diamond dust that polishes my skin and smoothens away all the bumpiness without irritating my eczema. There is a creamy, moisturising lotion base in there that soothes and hydrates. The surprising thing was the diamond dust lingers on long after showering, giving a luxurious sparkle to the skin so you don’t even need a shimmering body oil afterwards!
- Clarins Body Lift Cellulite Control – this is probably my 3rd bottle and to be honest, I never quite saw any improvements in my cellulite. Of course I don’t think i’ve been diligent enough and nothing really beats exercising.
- Lush Bubbly Shower Gel – part of last year’s Christmas collection, this smells of uplifting citrus and lathers well without stripping my skin of moisture. I saw it’s available in a naked version now, and i’m looking forward to trying that.
- Crabtree & Evelyn Goatmilk & Oat Body Lotion – is a lightweight fluid body moisturizer formulated with goat milk and oat. This one smells great like powder, and keeps my skin moisturised without any trace of oiliness. Perfect for getting dressed quickly in the mornings. I also like that it soothes sensitive skin and pampers my body.
- Estelle & Thild Spring Rose Blonde Body Scrub – gentle and effective, and it is lightly scented so it is suitable for both him and her! My hubby definitely got more use out of this one than I did.
Did anything pique your interest here?